Wednesday 24 July 2013

Hot And Steamy!

Hello blog lovers.

I know the title is, shall we say, a bit evocative. But that is exactly what it felt like at club runs yesterday evening, very hot and steamy beginners and group 1 run. And unlike. erm, the other kind of meaning, I looked far from glamorous and or sexy!  Who said running will make you look gorgeous!  Well, I s'spose everyone can look half decent after a good blow dry!

Ok, enough of the innuendos! Sometimes my mind really does hit gutter level! Anyway, yesterday it was Tuesday, (so yes, I am a day late writing up) and it was the beginners groups turn to hit the sauna pot of Willet Way Rec.  When we first started around 7 ish, there was bit of rain, heavy mist, as the Old Boy would say, which felt quite cool on my skin.  I think some of the beginners were looking forward to a bit of rain too.  Today it was walking for 2 minutes and then jogging for 4 minutes.  It seems quite a step from that first week when they were all worried about jogging even for a minute!

But everyone managed to do it even in this heat.  Us Brits are just not used to constant heat.  We complain like mad when there is too much rain and then we complain like crazy when its too hot!  Changeable weather, that's what we are used to! But to see the beginners running around, not caring (too much) about old Mr. Sunshine turning us all into steamed runner(beans) [ ......I don't know where this stuff comes from inside my head, full of nonsense...] and then feeling pretty darn good that we have done it , is an awesome feeling!  Now that is what running/keeping fit is all about!



Geeky stats for the beginners.



Group 1 run was taking us on our annual Pettswood 10K route, voted by the Runners World magazine as one of the best in the country for 10K Races, so that we will all be aware of the route and what is expected of our 600 entrants that will be running it.  Oh and by the, I have been given a mission to recruit at least 2 people to come at run at our race, and I have promised a signed photo of our club mascot, Mr. Woody Gorilla himself, and if he hasn't eaten all the bananas he may just share his hoard of bananas with you.  So who is up for it?

I regularly run some of this route anyway, and it really is a lovely place to be running through.  The woods were again hot and steamy, very humid indeed.  I sprayed myself with jungle formula insect repellent, but there was obviously a few very determined little b......blighters that thought I was worthy of the risk to dine out on!  I tried to stay in the middle of the pack today, let someone else take over sweeper duties! But guess where I ended up!? Yup that's right, at the back, puffing and panting and looking like a complete steamed pudding!  Just as well I had my water to continue to 'baste' myself, [hmmm.....all of a sudden I'm hungry...]


It was a good run, and we got back to the rec, and asked very nicely by our leader, the Illustrious Leader, to run around the green once (it was going to be twice, but she took pity on all of us melting Lolly's, I mean melting joggers)

A good run though, and I must push on and do some more, I have signed up for another race, the Mid Kent 5, on August 11.  It should be interesting!

Geeky stats for group 1



No comments:

Post a Comment