Saturday 25 August 2012

Park Run And Short Ride

Hello blog lovers.

Me and Nagging Sister went to Normans Park this morning, our incentive to get up early and run, (apart from the lovely sunshine outside) was that we were meeting the Jogging Hippo again, he is still supplying 'gear' from the back of his motor, for us all to use, test and write up a review about.

I got there nice and early, and as it was the 3rd anniversary of Normans Park Park run, the route was being run in the opposite direction, which is really good for me, as I have parked my car at the Bromley common end, perfect for me! (No negotiating with width barriers)

JH was there on time, he opened up the back of his 'mo'ah' to reveal all the goodies for the testers.  It's just as well he has an honest looking face, and that his young son and wife was with him, because this could look really dodgy! Me and my sister was given a rather fetching bright pink top to test out. It's a winter top, so I might give this a go when I'm on my bike. See if it keeps me warm while I'm speeding through the lanes.

Anyway, to the run! We were all lined up, we listened to the chap give out the congrats to all the volunteers who helped to keep Park Run going, and then we were off. Speedily! I was running under 10 min mi, and when Karen came from behind me after  about a quater of the first lap in, she said "OO Old Girl, your running speedily!" I took a look at my Garmin, and realised exactly how fast I was running. 9.33 min/m!

I soon slowed down though, because I was on the phone just after she passed!  Be we set off running I had realised that I had left mine and my sisters parkrun barcode, needed to note the time we came in at, at my house. I was ringing my daughter to ask her to bring it, but she couldn't, then I rang my son! It would be a miracle if he answered the phone, let alone bring it down to the park, but I thought I would give it a go. Of course he didn't even hear his phone ringing, let alone come down with the barcodes.

I tried not to let this affect my run, after all I had my Garmin on me, plus, (because nu mow NS was way ahead of me now) I  have her IPhone. Nagging Sister doesn't have a Garmin, she has this app thing on her phone. This app thing, endimondo, or whatever it is called, records how fast you run, a map of the route, and then can compare it for you. But it also buzzes and talks to you. It was like having NS next to me, nagging me about how fast I was running!
For the rest of the run I had this woman telling me how fast I had ran a kilometre, and how fast I had ran last time! Just like having her there! 

I was keeping pace with all sorts of people, just to get me back on track, after I slowed down to make the phone calls. First I was racing one chap, then I passed him, then I saw a man with his sun and dog, I passed them, although the passed me by after! And then a lady caught me up on the second lap, she had said she had to stop for a 'natural' break, yet she was still here next to me! Then she overtook me as I tried to keep pace.

I chose another 'competitor' to race against. It was another chap, I ran up to him, grimaced, (it was supposed to be a smile) and then ran on passed him. I slowed down again, and started to walk again as the same chap ran passed me and said 'It's not far to go now" With that I took a deep breath and started running again, I caught him up, over took him and tried to keep him behind me!

At the top of the park again now, where we had started, now its not far to go! I drew in some deep breaths and started to pick my pace up a little bit more. Have I done enough for a PB, did I just push it too much in the beginning, did those phone calls slow me down too much? These were the questions going through my mind

Just then the 'natural stop' lady come up beside me, "right then, sprint time she said to me, go on then"  she said to me. With that she took off in front of me. I tried to keep up with her, but all I saw was the bottom of her shoes!  I kept my own sprint going, looking towards the finishing funnel, ready to get my token to mark my time.

Done it, geeky stats says 34.41 mins on my Garmin, but I was a little slow switching it off. Lets see what park run token says. With that thought I told NS that I was going home to get our barcodes. Without even stopping for a drink or a stretch out I ran to the car and drove off.

Official results came in this after noon telling me that I have now done 5 park runs but did not beat my PB this time! Darn it. 34.35 mins Oh well, next time I forget my barcodes I wont get on the phone while I am running!

The short ride. Well, it really was a short ride. After the park run I went home to get changed into my cycling gear. The sun was still shining, although I did see clouds looming on the southern horizen. More or less the exact direction I needed to head. The Old Boy went out riding alone and I was going to meet him in Hayes, the Village Cafe, for breakfast.

Nagging Sister was going to join us as well. She had her car too, so we both had to go home first. I arrived at the cafe just a tad after NS. The Old Boy was already there, with a coffee in front of him.  We ordered breakfast, and the the OB told me about the torrential rain that he had been riding in!  It was still sunny in Hayes, and still very warm! I just couldn't believe that there was all this rain about.

The the Bigfoot boys and girls came in, looking very wet and very mud splatted! The had got caught in the rain as well. We finished our breakfast, which was quite healthy really, poached eggs on toast, then the rain came. It started just with a very light 'dusting'. Me and NS were thinking 'If its only this much then we will continue afte brekkie with our planned ride' But then it started getting harder.  The Old boy had had enough rain for one day, he didn't fancy getting another soaking, and both me and NS hate riding in the rain.

So our short ride was back home again. a whole 4 miles!

Geeky stats for my run, but I didn't put on the Garmin for the ride home, (only 2 miles anyway),






No comments:

Post a Comment