Tuesday 21 August 2012

Club Run - Slow Down!

Hello blog lovers.

Today was club run day, My first run after my holidays, although not my first bit of exercise, because I did go for a lovely bike ride yesterday! I was hoping not to be too sluggish after 5 days of eating drinking, plus singing karaoke on the first night! It was a great few days away, but my waist line has suffered!  I was hoping all my muscles had healed and knitted together stronger espcially after I have been doing tons of exercise for the last few months!

Our Illustrious Leader was away, still sunning herself in foreign climes, so we had Jonathan as our leader. After all the notices were given, and routes given out we were ready to go. Jonathan had decided to use and tried and tested route, It just touches on the woods near my home, albeit the back of the woods. I like this route, I like the second half of this route, it's all downhill!

I had decided to push myself a little harder than I have been doing. Get out of my comfort zone, but within the safety of my trusted group running pace! I didn't want to feel a burden on the group 2 runners. My plan is to be in the front of group 1 for at least 3 weeks on the trot then try and go for group 2!

Well, thats my plan anyway. So I started off at the front, with Jonathan and with Nagging Sister! She has decided to run with group 1 again today. We were all busy chatting away. One of the other runners, (and one of my few readers I believe) told me that she had put on the Jungle Formula insect repellent! Maybe I should run next to her in hope that all little insect nasties will keep away from her within a 5 radius! Knowing how much the little critters love me!

We  did start off pretty fast, and we had to slow down a bit. Jonathon's watch that he is testing seems to be not wanting to be tested! His GPS unit was refusing to talk to the watch part of his stuff that he is testing, so he couldn't tell how fast we were running. He looked to me and to others with Garmins, IPhones or other gadgets, to keep him in the loop!

The first bit to the Tudor Way was a tad fast and we had to reel him in at bit. But we all kept together fairly well. I was still at the front as we crossed over the Queensway to run down towards Shepperton Road. I looked back and saw that there were a couple of other ladies behind so I though I would wait for them. But then I noticed that the usual sweepers were doing a fine job of making sure no one runs alone. 

We ran towards the little path that takes us through the back end of the woods. Jonathan said to keep running till about half way down then take another little break for a catch up. Me and NS were in the front! Leading! This is quite surreal! I know I said to myself that I was going to push myself today, but not actually be in front of our leader!

Now I am not good at judging where halfway down this path is. I thought it was by the gate, but NS was still running ahead. I had started to fall behind. I knew it wouldn't last! The sweepers caught me up and I ran along just behind them until they finally stopped. We had a quick breather, all had a chat about all sorts of things, before continuing our run.

I was quite surprised to see how far we had actually ran. We had ran more that half way up the path, because quite soon we were popping out of the woods!  We turned left and ran towards the roundabout at the top of the road. We had another little regroup here, just as well as I was creeping to the back of the pack again.

But then, its the downhill section. I love running down hill "How can you say that?" says NS, "If you were on a bike, then I can understand, as you can just roll" "Well it is easier" I said, and it's true! Running down hill is so much easier than running up hill. In fact it showed! Because when we started running again, we were given instructions to stop at the roundabout just before the bridge, me and NS were in the front again. We were running along a quite a steady pace, even chatting away a little. Then I took a look at my Garmin. "Slow down a bit" I said "We are doing 9.53 mi/m" I informed her.

We slowed down and just jogged along until the bridge. We stopped there for a breather and regroup. One lady had decided to leave us at this point, she carried on walking to Pettswood. I think me and NS had gone way to fast!  But now there was this last bit to do! Over the bridge until St. Johns Road.  Nearly everyone knew the way back to the rec, so we decided to all go at our own pace, stop if we wanted, run faster if we wanted. Jonathan was going to be at the back to make sure we don't lose anyone on the way, and to keep them encouraged.

I know that there is a bit of a hill on St.Johns and I wanted to push myself to the top, get as far up it as I could before I realised how far up I was!. I pushed and pushed, Nagged myself stupid, There were the other back runners overtaking me now as I slowed down. But I got to the top! I had a quick breather walk, and then carried on running.

I overtook some of the others as we continued our way to the rec. It was far to go, Everyone knew where they was by now, so it really was as fast or as slow as you wanted to go. I chose to push myself that little bit more.

Soon onto Crossways, and then sprint to sign post! I didn't catch up with anyone else but I wasn't that far behind. Inside the rec for a stretch, chat, and compare all the new testing 'stuff' we have been given.  My top is brilliant! Just loved the racing back style. Maybe that is what made me want to run a bit faster!

Geeky stats, so it's not as fast as I thought it would be, but it is still under 12 min miles, moving pace that is!


Apparantly Nagging sister has read my blog, and I forgot to mention that she was the first person in the rec! Yawn, show off! Maybe she will be ready to go back to group 2 now!

No comments:

Post a Comment