Thursday 27 August 2020

Furlough Coming To An end!

Hello readers.

So my time prancing about in front of my tv watching Team Body Project and all the other fitness kings and queens out there is coming to an end!  I am going back to work this time next week!  Nervous.....yes, pleased to be going back.......yes!  It has been fun doing my workouts with Janice, my workout buddy! 

I started doing the workouts because of the restrictions, stay home, protect the NHS and all that.  I tried to do the one bit of exercise that the government said we could do but, looking back, I don't think my head was in it.  Finding every excuse to stay home, no need to go out!   Then of course it was the anxiety of going out!  A few times of running by myself, it just felt so weird!  People moving away from you, giving you looks as if you shouldn't be out.  Mums hugging children to their legs as you get closer to them for you to pass with the obligatory 2 meters! Eerily empty roads and just an overwhelming sense of WTF!  That about explains how it felt to run in the beginning of lockdown.  But the longer I stayed away from running the harder it seemed to get back out their.  Which is why doing my exercising using YouTube, watching Team Body Project, Jordan burns, Adele Murrell and PopSugar really help to keep me active.  it was just as well, because apart from those 30-60 minutues I was mainly sedentary!  Apart from when I was hanging out of the fridge!

So for the last few weeks I have been doing my exercises, running with PWR a couple of times on Thursday mornings and of course there was the Fitness in the park with PWR too.  There has been a couple of solo runs too, but I struggled with them, blaming heat, technology, anything really.  But what prompted me to write this evening was about my run today.

Today I exercises in front of my t.v. going live on Facebook, ready to workout with my workout buddy.  I had to few things to do, phone calls to make before hand, including one to SMF to find a part for my car, they had it!  So I decided to run their after my workout!  The workout I chose was TBP with Alex leading, usually she is a machine!  But I wanted to do a hard one, to just get hot, sweaty, get those endorphins running through my body, push as hard as I could!  Well I did that! It was a great workout and I tried as hard as I could! I was satisfied.  In fact I was so satisfied I really didn't fancy walking or running to the car parts shop, so I called my daughter to give me a lift!  Fortunately she was heading out somewhere so I had to go by myself.

So I went!  I got ready, my money for the car part (which was very small by the way) and went out!  The route I took is one that I usually go with Naggy, through the park, and up the road!  So I did it, I only put on my Garmin to track me, no Jabra, no Peloton, well, I knew I was going to have to pause everything when I go into the shop, pausing my Garmin was the easiest.  I do like to listen to something though, so I put on spotify and started running.  The sounds of the 70's filled my ears, that's what I had chosen, just to take me back to a time when I didn't have too many cares and woes!  It was brilliant!  I was loving the tunes, I was smiling and singing along.  I found I was enjoying my run, I mean really enjoying it! I ignored the buzzing going on from my Garmin to tell me to walk for a minute and just carried on running!  I had no agenda, no one to keep up with, no app telling me my pace or to speed up!  Not that I don't like that, I like geeky stats, I like to listen to peloton to tell me to try just that little bit harder, but right at that minute I didn't want it nor need it!  I was enjoying my run!

Sometimes I ran pretty fast, sometimes I just plodded along other times I walked and the ran again when I felt like it, not because my Garmin told me too.  I got to the shop and pause my Garmin, bought my park and then continued my running! Originally I thought I was just going to go back the same way that I got here, instead I opted to just continue on my run, do the 5k, the 3 miles, just do it as I have done it so far.

As I ran along I joined in with the songs that filled my ears.  Lord knows what I must have sounded like as I am sure I was singing out loud!  But it was too good not to sing along!  As I got to Trinity Estates, the new estate on the corner of Crown Lane Spur 'Grease' came on!  I as actually doing the arm movements! Still smiling, still singing!  Loving it!

So yes, the love of running is still there, I just need to remember that, I need to ease the pressures of of keeping up!  When we get back to club running again there is going to be so many people that will have their post COVID fears, bodys and thoughts with them, we are all going to be in the same boat, only some of us will have had the cheap tickets, down in the bow of the boat no desire to run in, others will have had the dearer tickets, up top with the running track around the deck!  But still, we have all been avoiding the COVID sea, we still all have had to deal with isolation and the anxieties that can come with it!

The new normal is coming and I am glad I have had the desire to still want to go running (even though for quite some time I have struggled with it) and I am grateful that my running club is still there ready to welcome back all members, with social distancing of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment