Sunday 22 September 2019

Petts Wood Beginners Week 2

Hello blog readers.

I know I missed writing all bout week 1, but things have been happening, changes and what not, so I have been a bit lazy with blogging and even with one of club runs!  With the new job, I have been learning new things, downloading stuff......all by myself....most proud!.....to do with work!  It's been going spookily great! 

So yesterday was our second week of the Autumn Beginners course.  We have a good number of runners for this course, all eager and enthusiastic!  For the first three weeks at least, that is all you need!  I love looking at our newbies, all looking as if the next few weeks are an impossibility for them.  But then come the end of the course seeing their faces and listening to them chat to their fellow Autumn runners is just magical!

ZippySherry was leader for week two, I did the first week, but it did mean that I could stand and protect all our runners as they skipped, sideskipped, butt-kicked their way up to the line of cones while doing their drills!  What was I protecting them from? I hear you ask, it's the holes in the ground!  Two very nasty little holes, obviously done by our gorgeous little canine friends at some point.  It was one of these two holes that incapacitated me earlier in the year!  A sprain put me out of action and in crutches for a while, doing a full splat in front our a spring beginners!  They will forever be know now as 'Donnas Holes'.  Here this is me protecting the troops!
Mind the holes!

The runners did very well avoiding those holes and we were all soon warmed up enough to start our running section, 2 minutes of running and 4 minutes of walking!  Still very doable for the people that joined the course for the first time this week, 2 minutes of running is so doable!  I like the fact that with our beginners course we really do start off as gentle as possible, I can't think of anything worse than turning up to something and trying to run before you can walk.........err, um.....well probably the wrong catchphrase there, because we can all walk and we want to run!  But  you get the idea.
keep you're eyes open!

side skipping!

Some more pictures of us all doing the warm ups, courtesy of our LouLou. I am sure they all all enjoyed the skipping! And all the rest of the warm ups of course!  After that it was time for our running.  We only had 2 minutes of running and then 4 minutes of walking.  It seems a long time if you have never done any running before, but we know for experience over the years our beginners will look back on this and smile, especially after they have all completed a 5k parkrun without any walking or very few walking bits in there! 

For five reps we ran and walked our way around the rec and then we did our cool down stretches, we don't want any cramping or pains in legs!  ZippySherry lead them all through some great stretches that will help our muscles to relax and do they thing that they should be doing....healing, getting rid of that lac....lack,.....lag......what even acid it is that builds up in your muscles after exercises.
Stretch those muscles!


A great second session of our beginners!  I think that everyone there this time will be with us till the end! 

No comments:

Post a Comment