Tuesday 6 June 2017

Club Run - It's A Windy One!

Hello blog lovers!

I don't know who did it but I suggest you go right back up stairs and turn summer back on!  What the heck is this!?  Wind, rain! Hail stones the other day!  Trees falling over, fences across the path!    I can't believe it's summer, or did I miss it....or has it not started yet?  Blimey, it's enough to make you get your long sleeved tops on again!

I woke up this morning to a dark sky, wind and rain!  It just wasn't very inspiring at all!  When I left the house to walk to my car this morning the neighbours fence was right across the path!  I had hoped then that the weather would improve during the day for when I wanted to run!

Well it did, kind of!  It was still so blimmin cold, and it was still overcast and dark outside.  Shalini had knocked at my door ready to go along to the rec and it had just started raining slightly again.  Hats, warm sweat top and long run pants was what she was wearing, I think I will do the same.  I was still in my day clothes!  I was really dragging my feet about going.  One of the most useful things about being a run leader is that I am needed!  Well, if I was ill or something silly like that then there will always be someone to cover for me.  But in my head, I need to be there!  So I went up and got changed into my running gear.

I knew I had a PWR member that was coming back to running after being out for a while, so I chose a nice and gentle route around the streets of Petts Wood, which is actually my plan B because of the weather!  Plan A was a nice gentle one through the woods, but I thought with the adverse weather we had I needed to get my H&S head on and choose another route.  So it was the easy winter route for us.  I had thought about the Cinder Path, which is kind of through the woods, but then what if branches came down,  maybe next time it was just raining I would opt for that one!

I had a count up of the runners in my group, only 8 this week, but then it is 'Move Up Tuesday'.  The fist Tuesday in the month we encourage those that want a challenge to move up to the next faster group!  Some of our group 1's had moved up. If they really don't like it that can come back to their usual groups....until the next month and try again!  It's a great way to challenge yourself, and you never know, you might find that you are quite comfortable in the next group!  I know that when we have another couple of leaders for group 1 then I shall push myself into group 2 and then hopefully the next group, maybe........its only a dream at the mo of getting me beyond group 2!

We set off after most of the other groups had left, we turned right at the gate and then ran up to Kings Way and then turned right up there.  This was our only hill, well, only noticable hill.  Carole shared a picture with me on Facebook this evening with the words "Don't think of them as' hills'; Think of them as 'mounds of opportunity"  I wish I had seen that before I had left for running club this evening, I could have shared those words of wisdom with the group!  Still fecking hate hills!  But maybe I could start looking at them with new eyes!

I didn't have any sweeps today, so I did catchup stops, and tried to really keep my pace at the slower end of the advertised pace.  I also encouraged the faster ones that kept with me to run back to the back of the pack until then run back to me, but everyone was just happy to wait and not do the loop backs.

And that is how group 1 did this route today.  We ran, we waited and then we ran.  Auriol was with me, but she is slowly getting her fitness back.  She knew that she could walk the three miles that we do in group 1 at the over all pace that we do in group 1.  She would just continue to walk on, and do do the catch up stop and then we would run passed her until the next stop. And so from there she could slowly build her fitness and strength up to start her back to running.  This is what we do in group 1.  Get people back from injuries, lazyitus and up to build them up to speed from the beginners group, for the next group!

We got around our route and back to the rec in under 50,  I counted them all in and I didn't lose any! It's always a bonus, not that I have ever lost any one!  So, geeky stats for you, and I am pleased to see that we did our three miles, I had noticed Della from one of the faster groups was doing loops of the field when we got back, to bring her Garmin up to 6 miles!  I know how she feels, seeing the ??.98 on your Garmin is just not on, you have to make it up the the round mile, or just a tiny bit over!

Geeky stats for  you all! I got the avergage moving pace to a good group 1 pace, now to work on the average pace over all!






No comments:

Post a Comment