Saturday 23 January 2016

Thursday Through The Thorny Thickets!

Hello blog lovers.

Ok, it wasn't thickets, but we did take a different path through the woods.  Let me begin from the the beginning.  We all met up at the rec, as usual, DiscoRich was there with his crew.  I wanted to do a shorter route today so I could get back to the rec a little bit early, which prompted David, who was going to come with us, to hop back into DiscoRich's group.  So with just the three of us in my group we headed for the woods.  All of us started our Garmins and we ran out!  What a hi tech club we are!  I do like my geeky stats!

We ran through 'Dog Poo ally' and into the woods, onto firm frozen ground.  So different to last week where we almost immediately splashed through muddy puddles.  With the frozen ground came new challenges and hazards.  The frozen footprints of walkers, runners, dogs and other animals made the paths extremely uneven.  Our feet will stay dry but our ankles are going to be getting a good work out.

I turned left, we were going to run along the path next to the rail lines and then down to the little stream, and then continue in that direction all the way up. Up to the very top! I warmed up very quickly, and I was glad that I had decided that I only needed on layer on under my jacket!  My gloves came off and straight into my pocket!  I think even my hat came off too!  It was a woolly hat, and usually I wear my baseball cap, I think I might just stick with that!

We all run up to the gate, which is about half way up.  Janet and Trish were in front of me, they were both determined to get to the gate!  That is where we had to have a stop!  I couldn't even talk!  We walked just a little way up the road, it's not good to stand around too long,  before we started to run again.  It was quite busy that morning, as the postman came down in his van and we had to stand up on the verge and then another car came down.  Just as we neared the top of the road the postman wanted to come back.  We wasn't quite sure whether to keep on running or to stand aside!  But we did the right thing......we kept on running to the top and then gave him his road back!

The run to the next woods was quite easy underfoot as we were on the roads again.  And it felt like we had a bit more speed.  We got to the end and crossed over the road and went into the tiny bit of Scadbury the we an get into before we run out of time to get back to the rec.  I will have to study that side of the woods a bit more, and see if I can find some nice paths up that way for our Thursday morning runs, and maybe even Group 0 summer routes!

We were nearly over with our 'shorter' run.  We crossed over the road by the pedestrian crossing and entered Petts Wood again.  I looked at the path just opposite the entrance and I decided that we should go down there.  I felt I hadn't done that path before, and it needed to be done. I probably have, but still, if felt like a 'new' path so we went down there.  It's good to just do something different every now and then.  We can get lost as we were pretty near the rail lines!

We cam out of that path just by the entrance of  'Dog Poo ally'.  Not the path I though it might have been!  We ran back to the rec and I raised my hand to stop my Garmin......only to find that I had not been recording.  I quickly checked it and I realised that I had about 15 minutes worth on there, which means I think I must have turned it off when I took my gloves off! Darn it!  The other two ladies, however, did have the Garmins still going and it showed that we had run 5.6k, about 3 and half miles maybe!  So, the usual distance, so much for a short run!

A lovely run though, I do enjoy running with everyone!  So here's the geeky stats that I do have!


No comments:

Post a Comment