Tuesday 12 January 2016

Club Run - It's Getting Cold Out!

Hello blog lovers.

Brrrr, I think winter is trying to grab our attention now, it's fed up of us saying "I can't believe how mild it is" and "Do you remember the winters we had as a child".  Now they were winters!  Ice on the inside of your windows with the net curtains stuck on them!  But we will soon be warmed up as soon as we start running.

I went a little earlier to meet JJ at her house, Janet was already there, Wendimoo and Tasmin followed shortly after.  We all walked over to rec together where the rest of the club members started to arrive.

It was quite chilly, and after a while I head my name being called, that usually means for me to 'call to order' with my whistle!  It's quite ear piercing, it has stopped many a taxis that have missed our hail, but the whistle has got through!  Now I use it to grab the attention of the 100 or so runners so that the leaders can talk about their route.  So I did a great job of the whistle, the crowd quietened down and gathered around in a semi circle to hear from the announcer today.............and silence!  No announcer.......nobody knew who was doing the announcements today, we all stood looking at the empty spot!  Just a second ore two after we heard "Hi, sorry, had an issue with the toilets"  I don't think anyone asked Siggy what that was!

But announcements all done and we set of out of the gate to go up Birchwood.  I hadn't put up a route as I had a long day today, most of it spent out of the house, so I was away from my computer.  This one is quite a good one anyway, it has the drama of the hills, a very short bit of hill training, that we so far have done a couple of reps up the hill if not three times.  And then there is the final little challengey bit of the undulations at the top of Petts Wood Road!

My breathing was all over the place for the first mile or so, as always, and the chilly air was making it longer to get into my stride.  There was a nice size group of us today, those already mentioned plus Auriol, Jenny and Becky, who has started back at the club today after having time out.  That first half a mile was all up hill, and I was determined to be the perfect leader and try and get up it in one go!  It's a challenge, and I do like to at least do hills fairly well while I am leading 0.  It doesn't look too good if I flake out on the hills!

I think most of us ran all of it, if not then they only took one short walking break before running on up again.  Now that it is a huge improvement!  You can really start to see the progress being made!  From there we ran along the top road to the right  where we crossed over the road and ran along towards Tillingbourne green.  Along this bit of road some twat on a small motor bike was beeping his horn and sticking his foot out at us!  We were running along the the kerb, but this idiot didn't have any front lights on at all, his mate came from behind him, he had lights on!  Some people! Tut!

Just after this road is the little bit of hill training section.  We were all tired, all getting back to the swing of things after Christmas, so lets just see if there were any takers for the double up of the hill.  Everybody said yes, although Wendimoo said yes in protest, because he didn't want to be the only one waiting at the top!

We took a nice easy run back down to the round about after the reps and down the hill.  And so the undulations to do now.  By now my breathing was spot on, my legs felt just a tad tired, but totally expected after  last week and today.  It's not going to stop, it's what I do now, it's what I can do and will do!

All in all a great run, the undulations of Woodside Great Thrift and Hazlemere are always a fabulous training, especially when it's on the last road, as that is when you are at your most tired and those little undulations feel like mountains.  But you feel see pleased with yourself once you have don't it nd you  feel like just dancing!

Here's the geeky stats for todays run, it's not bad, but we still have a lot of work to do!

Geeky stats.

<iframe src='https://connect.garmin.com/activity/embed/1012863011' width='465' height='500' frameborder='0'></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment