Thursday 15 January 2015

Threatening Thursday!

Hello blog lovers.

Threatening Thursday eh?!  Well, 'they' threatened high winds, 'they' threatened rain and 'they' even threatened snow!  Well this morning couldn't have been more perfect for a run......well, I guess the woods could be dry and 'runable' which would have made a lovely run today, but instead I had a two park route planned instead!

The rain did come down quite a lot last night, and so the woods would have been very muddy!  I knew Nicola was coming along and she is just getting over a dodgy ankle, so I decided that paths and roads would be much safer for her.  And besides, it will be good for me too, no excuses to 'slow down' or walk.....only the one excuse will be needed.....lazy!!

So there were were, three in my group and three in DiscoRich group, and we all ran out of the gate and headed up Hazelmere.  Richards group was braving the woods, and the mud and the puddles and the fresh air, and the peace and quite...... and we we braving the paths and pavements.  Hard work, great running, hopefully great pacing! But some serious running going on.

I chose this way because we do get to run through the parks.  First off it was Jubilee Country Park.  It's only for a short while, but any traffic free running is just too good to pass up.  The two ladies were running brilliantly, Nicola normally runs with DiscoRich, and Michelle just loves this running stuff, and has come on leaps and bounds.  Me, I am still struggling, still trying to maintain a pace.  But my excuse, as I watched them running along chatting, they are younger, they are fitter and they are way lighter than me!

We soon got through the park and headed towards Blackbrook Lane. Those darn walking stops still getting me to beat myself up, but I keep reminded myself, that, actually I am out here running, I could be sat at home, becoming brain dead watching Jerry Karl! *oooo shiver!* perish the thought!  Running down Blackbrook I was looking forward to going through the park again, even though this route will take me right past my house!  Now that is psychologically hard to do!

When we were running through the estate, I thought I would just share with the gang where my family lived, running past the flats, "My daughter and grandson live there" I said and then we got on to my road, "My mother in law lives there" as I pointed out her house.  And then we ran on a little further "And that's my house" I said.  "Wow, talk about close" said Michelle!  I quite like having my family close by!

Now it's the way back.  Every meter now is getting us closer to the rec. I was feeling a bit tired, but I think I am going to have to try and rethink my diet.  Things that will help with energy, but also stuff that makes less fat.  Is there such a beast.  I was reading something earlier about cereals not being the right thing, because of carbs or something, making you burn up carbs which may make you more hungry a bit later on down the line.  But something like greek yogurt and fruit burns up fat.....well I am not sure of the total science bit, but I am going to give it a try.  I think a bit a weight off this old body is going to help immensely!

We do have some great conversations as we run up the road, and we were talking about food, and stuff, like you do when you're running, and we shared things about eating, and ways to 'trick' our brain about with ways to eat.  I still can't eat with a teaspoon, but my hubby can.  It tricks your brain into thinking you are eating loads, but I always eat slowly anyway.   I think I just have to  cut down on food and eat the right things! Simple!

So geeky stats, and not to brag here but, we did over 4 and half miles!

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/674275234'></iframe>

Track Session

O.M.G.  Another threatening moment, I opened the door this evening, felt the bitter cold and the wet stuff hit my face, (it had cleared really, but the wind blew some of the rain on the front door onto my face) and I closed the door again and declared that I am not going, it's way too cold! The Old Boy gave me a look, you know the one, "You call yourself and athlete," type of look.  Which helped to make my mind up. Whether he was thinking that or not, I just didn't give him a chance, but when I changed my mind he said, "There you go, well done!"

So there I was, freezing my ass off driving to the track, talking to my self "Why on earth are you doing this?" Scarily an answer came.
"Cos someone decided to enter into the marathon draw. No thoughts about the couch potato waiting to emerge after all this nonsense of running has finished! nNo regards to this tired, old, slightly bloated body, that you have to be fling around a track, oh no!  You had to go and do it, didn't you"
I had no reply, to myself, which is quite sad really.  It's bad enough talking to yourself in the car, its bad enough beating yourself up but  having a go at yourself and not being able to have a good comeback, well, thats just no on!  But on to the track I went.

I saw the S.L.G.R. group as I entered the track. Brian and Dawn, the run leaders, and quite a few of their group. It's their monthly meet with us PWR's.  This is why I love the running community, everyone is just friends with everyone.  There is competition when it's needed, but most time everyone encourages everyone.

As it was cold this evening, we had a warm up with PhysioMike and then straight into the session.  The session this evening was 1 and half times around the track, leaving the track and head towards Hayes.  Somewhere along that road we will hear Mikes whistle (after about 7 and half minutes) and then to turn around and go back, and finish the first 15 minutes on the track.  A tempo run. 

I found myself running along side Angie, one of the SLGR's, she says she is normally the last person.  Well, as you all know, dear readers, that place is usually for me!  We were running along and chatting, like you do, and then the whistle blew!  Of course that is no the end of the session, you could see Hels, assistant coach, looking at her papers.  The middle bit of the session.  4 lots of 3 minutes running, with 90 second breaks between. Run at park run pace, or marathon pace, that is what I couldn't remember.  But it didn't matter, my pace seemed to remain the same anyway.

It was tough going, and I didn't stop running on the running bits, totally enjoyed the 90 second break bits, which we could chose to walk, jog or stand still, I chose to walk, as did everyone else.  Those four lots seemed to go for ever!  But it was good.  I kept the same pace!  Well, I hope I did, I was running with out my watch!! So I wasn't entirely sure!  

So after those 4 sets of running we had to do the tempo run again! It was hard, me and Angie, being the last ones on the the half lap, was told to just go straight to the gate and head towards Hayes.  This time we would get further, but it would be interesting to see if we could get further around the track when we come back,

I was kind of struggling when we were out on the road, I was tiring, and those silly thoughts were coming to me, 'Go on have a walk, slow down, it's too hard, is that a torn ligament'  I did actually stop running, but the Angie who was a couple of steps behind me touched me on the shoulder and said "Come on Old Girl, you can do it"  Yes, yes she was right!  Of course I can.  So I got back to running, and by now it was time to turn around and head back to the track.

Tough? Yes! Fun? Yes! Threatening?...No!  How can it be, like I said everyone is encouraging, everyone cheers us on each step of the way!  Huge 'well done' at the end, and "See you all next week/month as well! Love it!

I forgot to bring my Garmin with me, even though I remembered the HRM! Silly mare!




No comments:

Post a Comment