Sunday 17 November 2013

Park Run - A runners Eye View

Hello blog lovers.

I decided that todays park run was going to be a totally relaxed affair.  DiscoRich had a rather large group of  graduates running their first 5k park run after their 8 week beginners course.  So I thought I would just jog around the course for some fresh air, exercise and if I see any of the new runners then give them some encouragement as well.  I was also going take some pictures as it is my local park run, and give a view from a runners eye of a 5k course, and in my case I am usually always looking at peoples backs! So, maybe I should call it a backside view of park run!

I met up with the PWR's and also my sister, who came alone today, no attachments with her (her daughters).  I told her that I was going to have a very pleasurable run this morning.  The announcements were made, and we were off.  The grass was still wet and muddy in places but the new path up the long straight was ready!  It's going to be great running along there, maybe even a few seconds faster for the PB chasers.

The sun was shining, it was a cool crisp morning, with a touch of frost on the untrodden parts of the grass.  Perfect for first time runners, perfect for hundredth park run runners, in fact, perfect conditions for everyone!   I do feel a lot more relaxed about this park run, I have my head right, running for running sake, and if you can keep fit and keep the fat cells at bay then that is just  a bonus. 

Here is a picture of the first of the  'river passes', see how many park runners are out for a good time.
First pass of the river
 Oh and maybe some of the Bromley Cyclists may be interested in the nice wooden bridge here. Some cycling spectators use this to watch their loved ones and friends on their park run!  Running into to the sunshine just makes you smile, well, your face muscles contort that way as you squint, so you might as well go the whole hog and smile as well.  Such a great sense of well being!

The wooden bridge over the River Ravensbourne







The ground was a bit soft but I am sure it is getting firmer as the winter tries to take its turn.  I couldn't see any of DiscoRich's beginners, I was thinking that he has done an excellent job of training them for their first 5k, and they are all going to be finishing it in less than 30 mins!

As I was just taking it easy today, I was looking around at people, seeing how they are doing, watching all the other park users enjoying this fantastic park of ours. There were youngsters doing football training, adults doing some very gruelling workouts with what looks like some armytype chap putting them through their paces.  All out here on a Saturday morning at 9 am. Now that is very much a smile inducing moment!

Reaching the pavilion I managed to snap a quick pic of some of the volunteers who help out to make this event a truly top notch bestest parkrun venue anywhere, (but I am biased)
The volunteers of Bromley
Park Run
SingstarJo was also volunteering today, but I must have missed her with my camera!  At the top of the park I took some more pictures of some more of the people who where in front of me! 

Just at the top of the Park




Next it was that lovely new path!  It was a bit sticky getting from the grass to the path but I managed it without slipping or falling, just take a look at what us lucky Bromley Park Runners have to run on, and this is the longest stretch of the lap.


The Long Straight

From one end of the park to the other! At the half way mark I took some more pictures of the faster runners as they were half way through their second lap. 
The front runners













On my second lap I did come across one of DiscoRichs graduates.  I started chatting to her and then jogged along with her for the rest of our run.  It was her very first parkrun, and she had never done any sort of running before! And here she was completed a 5k at 9 o'clock on a Saturday morning!

All the way round this lap I chatted to her, encouraging her.  She had her music with her and it is only now I am thinking that maybe she would have preferred to listen to her music then to listen to me! But she was very polite and didn't say anything and chatted away when I did.  Back to the starting point and just the last turn to do before we run for the tunnel.  There is a very large sticky puddle bit here, and I thought I would take a picture of it for all you mud lovers.
Muddy patch

It was good to say to her "look there is the orange tunnel, just a little further and its all done," I stood back and got ready with my camera to take some pictures of what runners head for when they finish their run.
A graduate of PWR's Beginners Course
running for the orange tunnel






A great run today, and so enjoy all the chat and catch up after each run! Park runners, they only people they compete with is themselves each week.  After the runs everyone is chatting and having a good time, with water, squash, tea and coffee, biscuits and cakes!
Here's me with my running buddies (I'm second left)

Love it.
Some finishers of the park run

Oh and just because I love geeky stats here is my Garmin stats.






No comments:

Post a Comment