Tuesday 12 November 2013

Club run - On My First Whistle....

Hello blog lovers.

Well today it was back to the grind stone with graduates, although Tracy is still not quite recovered, she will be taking another week off. But Nagging sister, and MissMolly, was here and so was Lorraine.

To make it more interesting and a bit more of harder workout for Nagging Sister and MissMolly, I added a little bit of an extra thing to do. But first it was all to meet up.  As it was a bit of a chilly night, and we were going to be doing a conversational paced run, our warm up today was a very light jog for about half mile. Then I sent N.S. and M.M off to run at a slightly faster pace in front. But when they hear my whistle they were to sprint back to me and then jog it out again.


It just makes it a bit more interesting, and it was fun for her and M.M. At least it looked like a smile when I explained my cunning plan!  We were also doing our usual route in the opposite direction too, just to keep it interesting, and also it helps psychologically, as you are not quite sure how far you have run, as the usual marker points will be different!

They all did really well.  Lorraine kept on jogging, with just a couple of little walking bits. But after having 2 weeks off from running and not doing anything, I think she is doing really well indeed!

So geeky stats for the grads run.



Group 1

I was pretty warm after the grads run, and the outer layer high viz I was wearing was not a good idea.  I was soaked from the inside out!  So I removed my jacket and tried to keep as warm as possible and to try and dry off!  I read somewhere today a great tip from Jeff Gallway:

Here's a tip to keep you comfortable in the cold weather:

As you warm up through exercise, peel off each layer before you start sweating. Too much sweat accumulation will freeze and cause problems.


But I was too late in peeling of my high viz! and I was a tad cold.

But chatting with everyone and bobbing about keeping warm the time quickly went by and we were ready for the off.  Illustrious Leader as leading today and it seemed she was going to be taking it easy on us today.  With just the biggest hill of the evening at the very beginning of the run, the rest of the way looked as though it was going to be a very pleasurable, conversational group 1 run.  I do like these runs.  Chatting about anything and everything, just love it.

I thought I would remind all of the other Group 1 runners about the Grand Prix events.  We have a couple of others that have entered, all though Janet said that she can't actually remember entering. But I said that its a great way to have a little bit of competition between us all, and its a lot of fun.  Also it's a way of experience other races that normally we just wouldn't enter!

I know the first time I heard about the Grand Prix I felt as if that I was just not 'good' enough, not fast enough, and just not fit enough to even consider being part of it.  There were half marathons and 10 milers in the events tables.  But there was also loads of 5 milers, 10k's and 5k's  Most certainly do-able for all of the Group 1 runners! Which is how comes last year I actually one the group 1 Grand Prix trophy!  My very first 1st place trophy, ever! In fact my very first trophy!

Any way I digress, but I know some of the group 1 runners are reading this, so yes I am talking to you, next year, enter it! It really is a lot of fun, and it gets you experiencing so much more running styles and distances than you would normally do!

Back to the running, I was really enjoying todays run, although I was still at the back, but I volunteered to sweep, my legs were still a bit achy and stiff from the 5 miles XC on Sunday, so I knew I would be at the back of todays group anyway.  But I had a great time.

No geeky stats for this run, but it was about 3 and half miles long in under 50 mines I believe. And this is becaruse, firstly of I forgot to switch it on until we got to Leesons hill, and then secondly, after switching it off when we got back to the rec, I had managed to switch it on again before I got home! Oh well, at least I can follow the little pointer around and just see how fast I was going.


No comments:

Post a Comment