Tuesday 7 May 2013

Beginners and Club Run!

Hello blog lovers.

It's week three for the beginners group, but this is only the second time I have helped out. And today the beginners were walking for 3 minutes and jogging for 3 minutes.  The group seem to be a little less today, but hopefully the other people will rejoin again next week. I know work commitments get in the way of jogging.

But I was glad to see my sister-in-law and her friend still there with a smile on their faces and my friends from my estate still there as well.  And they all really enjoyed it and still looking forward to next week. Always good to know that!  I am still enjoying watching them all get fitter, even though they don't think they are.  Just think about it. Some of them, admitted they had not even ever ran for a bus! And now, here they are, 3 weeks in, running around a field for 3 mins, walking for 3 mins, and doing that 5 times!  Yep, I am in my element again, feeling inspired just watching the beginners start on what could be life changing activities. 

Life changing, yes, that is what I said. In my case, for instance. My usual day back in the couch potato days, was, get up, shower, dress, eat breakfast. Work, and even that was delievered to my door! So no walking to work for me, let alone even thinking about running for a bus! Work was not that energetic either, it was a case of walking to schools, or even taking the car! Come evening time, it was eating dinner, and that could have been one of the 3 takeaways I used to eat during just one week! And then settle down to watch my soaps! I used to watch them all! Corrie, Emerdale, Eastenders, Holby City, Casualty. I knew all the characters.

But now, those days have long gone. Well, maybe we  treat ourselves to takeaways still, but not like we used to.  Do you know, I watched Eastenders for the first time in literally ages yesterday and I saw Sharon back in the square! How long she been back, and to which brother is she with?!

Anyway, on to my group run.  Our illustrious leader is leading today. Oh before I forget, well done Hitchy on your debut leadership of group 2 today!  See what I mean about jogging can be life changing!  One minute she was just jogging along nicely in group 1 and now Hitchy is leading group 2! Anyway, IL is taking us through the woods today.  I have been waiting for a long time to be able to run through our gorgeous woods again. Its been a long cold winter!

Today, however I knew I was going to struggle just a little with the the route.  I had a very good weekend away, which included beer. But also, being in 'going out' mode the high heels came out. A few glasses of amber nectar and those shoes had me tripping up and clinging on to the Old Boy for dear life, twisting my ankle!  Today it was still a little sore, but at least I wasn't limping. I thought it would be fine to go for a nice gentle jog.

The woods have all dried up leaving hard ruts and footprints on the paths. I was very conscious of where and how I was putting my feet down.  Even so, it felt great to be in the woods again.. I kept up with the main pack.  Singstar Jo and Nanny Mcfee were sweeping today.  They have both just come back from injury, so were happy to sweep along together. 

Botney Bay was our first stop.  I managed to jog right up to the top of this hill.  The satellites still hadn't found me! I was wondering how long it is going to take before it picks me up.  Still, at least I had pushed the start button at the beginning. It would have been nice to see the pace up the hill though. 

We were going to carry on straight up until we reached the road at the top, and head towards the pub. Again I managed to keep on jogging up this bit of hill too!  I think the marathon has helped with the whole endurance thing! (oo look, I mentioned my marathon again! how long can I get away with this?) I know last year I used to struggle getting up both of these hills! Maybe be I should make sure I have at least one hill in my mid week runs, to keep the stamina up! I can't believe I am thinking that!

Going through the woods along the main road at the top and David lost his keys!  The light was gradually fading, and we maybe had about 20 minutes of light left. After waiting a few minutes for David (he went back by himself at first) we all decided that maybe 15 pairs of eyes would be better than just 1 set.  We saw David coming back, still without his keys!  So we all carried on walking along the path looking for them, they were on this part of the route, because this is where he pulled out his hankie.  Just a little further on and he found them! See, it works using 15 pairs of eyes!

We ran back to the main road, and then along the road to the bridge.  From there our Illustrious leader gave the orders. "Ok, from here its run as fast or as slow as you like, until Crossways and then into the rec." Of course I did my little sprint, even though the last bit of a run should be a nice slowly paced end! But it seems I have been doing it for too long now, and I do like that little blast at the end of a run! (I blame my nagging sister for starting that little tradition)


So my geeky stats, oh and the satellites did eventually find me after about a mile and half into my run!


No comments:

Post a Comment