Tuesday 23 November 2010

YEAH YEAH YEAH!!

Hello blogees!!!

Guess what?! Go on, guess?!! I'm back to running!! I am blooming knackered though, but such a very happy knackered!

It was the first evening run with the new group that I am thinking of joining, (I have 2 to 3 weeks to decide) and I enjoyed it immensely! I ran with the 'not quite so fast' runners, the ladies who for the past 8 weeks had been in the beginners group that met on the last previsous Saturdays.

The run leader said that our group was going to do a 3.6 mile run at an average pace of 13.30 min miles. That's sounds a bit like me!! I can do that. Naggy has me running around that pace if not faster! So I'm sure I wont embarrass my self by having to make the group stop and wait for me.

I was a bit apprehensive about meeting everyone there, (no naggy this time to hold my hand) and it was in the dark. I arrived early, well, I so hate being late, to find the gates locked!! I noticed another runner loitering around and just asked her if this was the right place and right time. It was her first Tuesday here too, so we were both in the dark, literally! But eventually more and more people arrived and the run leaders, who opened the gates and then briefed us all.

After sorting out the groups, there were about 5 groups, some running for 5 - 6 miles! and others running at 6.30 min miles! I was waiting to hear the 13.30 min milers to know who to follow!

We set off at a very good pace, a pace that I know I could manage if I concentrate hard, forget about the dinner clinging on to my stomach and diaphragm, and forget about the last time I ran was well over a week ago! I just wanted to enjoy the experience of being out running again. I have decided, I don't like running in the dark, I cant see that well!! but fortunately the only really dark bit was as we were leaving the recreation ground and then we hit the roads.

I stayed up with the leader of the group, its a strategy that I thought about well before I got to the place, if I have to walk or slow down a little at least when I pick up the pace again I shall be in the middle of the pack, and then run there for a bit, and then next time I need to walk a bit I can fall back a bit more!! I'm not daft you know.

Now, we were running up hill, I thought this was good, get the hard bit out of the way before I start flagging, I don't want these guys to think they will have to carry me along! but when I thought we were going to stop, we didn't! It was an official stop, these are the beginners that I am running with! One of them even said "I thought we were stopping soon" I'm so glad that she said that and not me! But I was hanging on to hear the answer. "Just up this road and around the corner, only a minute from here" was the reply Oh was I pleased about that! I don't think I could have gone on running much longer, if I was by myself then I would have 'allowed' my self a walking break by now! But we did eventually stop, on the main road. "We just ran over a mile and three quarters," the run leader said. And we were all really astonished at our achievement and was very pleased with out selves. We had a very short 3 or 4 mins break, which I was very relieved about, I had a stitch for the last couple of hundred metres!!

Here is where our group was to split. Those who feel can go a little faster will go with another memeber of the PWR and those of us left will carry on doing the 13.30 min mile pace. So with the other half of the group on their way, and a bit of advice from the run leader about how to relieve a stitch and how to prevent it in first place (eating is not a good idea before a run!) we were on a way back to the start. Only same amount of distance that we just covered!!

But the way home was better! It was downhill. Oh boy do I like downhill. Let the hill do the work. Things look different in the dark and I wasn't quite sure where I was, but had a slight idea where. But when we got to a turning that went right I realised that I wasn't where I thought I was and was in fact was slighter further! Just as well I managed to keep up with the group really!

But knowing that now, of course I knew exactly how far was left to run. You all know me by now, I get tired, and I get la'ry, and I like to say to naggy *^&%^ and ***&^*
but now, with the new people here, I just have to grin and bear it, and try to keep up with them, they all seem to be doing really really well, just keeping up the the leader, I was doing 'my thing' of slowing down to run in the middle of the pack and then running along with middlers, then slowing and running along with the backers, and then, with not that far to go, having a sneaky walk!! Only got caught out once "are you ok, said one of the other ladies" "Yes I'm fine, just taking a very short breather" I said with only a slightly breathless voice. I must push myself. If I can talk this well, then I can bloomin well run! So from there on I ran.

We crossed over the last road before the recreation ground and just the last couple of hundred yards to go. I was at the back, the run leader came back and said I'm doing well, I asked about the time we did it and the mins per mile and how far we ran, and then said to him, "Ok now's my time to finish in style" and I took off! I ran towards the sign to the recreation ground turned left into and tried to run through the darkness! but I didn't know what I was running over, I don't want to injure myself by hitting a rock or kerb or anything and just slowed down again.

But I did it! My fist official run with a club. I think I will join in, I will become a member. Then I can only get better. As it is the run leader is talking about expanding the distance already!! I am definitely going to be running outside my comfort zone!

3.6 miles in 49.00 ave pace of 13.30 min per mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment