Thursday 25 November 2010

Chilly! But I'm Still Smilling

Hello blogees!

Yes I went out again. This old girl is just so hooked on running and getting fit. Even winter is not going to stop me, I might slow me down, but that's about it!

Naggys mum is here with her this week, so we could both get this evening run in! She was so needing to get out, her gorgeous little man was celebrating his birthday yesterday and like all little tiny boys on their birthdays, he was, shall we say, rather excited! So to get out and think about nothing else (apart from getting my backside around this route) is just what she needed.

I knocked for naggy (again, she is slacking) and she wasn't quite ready, her shoes went on the missing list. But once located we were out of the door and almost running as soon as the door was closed. Brrrrr its freezing out here! There was no waiting, setting up gizmos and gadgets, it was just getting moving straight away!

The cold weather does play a big part on your breathing! So therefore your energy, and oxygen levels etc, so get the breathing sorted as quickly as possible. I don't want to be panting, even though its bloomin cold.

"Where we going?" naggy says, "Only do the short route, don't think I could run to far, its cold" "Ok" says naggy. And I could see her figuring stuff out in her head and the she said "Right, its going to be a two stop run. First stop is at Turp, walk for a few mins, and then just before the hill on Oxhawth, and then run home from the top" She figured this out after I told her the running club got me running for 1 3/4 miles on Tuesday!

Turpington lane seems such a long way away! But its cold out, and the sooner I get this done, then I can get in the warm and have my dinner! That's right, I shall wait till I get home before eating today!! I don't want to have a stitch again! I no I complain about the running,but I do really love it, its kind of a love/hate relationship with it now! But with that in mind, my first stop at Turp then that will have to be.

Naggy is chatting away, and I am answering her along the way. Big mistake!! She obviously took this as my fitness going up and then starts thinking that maybe, a one stop run today!!! I don't think so. So I thought I had better start grunting from now.

I was really looking forward to Turp stop. I was all set to stop by the roundabout! But knowing that Turp just up ahead I kept going. Soon be able to walk. Made it!! I saw naggy turn the corner and the start walking. To be honest, I thought we were going to jog to the beginning of Greenway, so to stop just short of that was good.

Walking along, gaining control of my breathing again, and then realising that actually I am quite warm! I can't feel the cold anymore, even though I know it is very cold out there!! But all too soon our five min walk was up and it was back to jogging. Of course that included the hill but being in the dark, it didn't matter, and the fact that naggy wants me to run all the way up here and Southborough and most of Oxhawth, well, I just couldn't think about this being a hill.

And do you know, that strategy worked, because before long, there was the main road! I know normally we would turn down Holbrook, but being as it is dark, we decided to run the straight road. That little diversion worked, mentally, for me, because usually when I run up Parkfield heading for the pub, I am usually flagging, and say to myself that I shall have a walk from there, but coming to the pub from a different direction seems different somehow!

Running now, down the long long road, "half way" she said "before we stop" "Well where is half way" I said, and I am beginning to flag a little more now, "Oh just past the school and then just before the road" Little did I know that naggy meant past the other gates of the school on Oxhawth, and just before Lovelace Ave!!

I started walking, but naggy could hear, she could hear my foots steps and she could hear the rustle of my running jacket, a jacket that naggy herself gave me!! Grateful though I am, but I think it was a strategy by here so that she can hear if I was running or not! "If you walk now then I won't let you walk some of the hill" she said with her nagginess. Of course I started running again, I would rather walk some of the hill than walk now.

Turn the corner now and heading for home, still running, waiting for that road to tell me that I can stop for a short break. I was feeling pretty good, knackared, but pretty good, knowing I got another walk in a few seconds was helping. I was glaring at naggys back, and I heard her comment about I can pull the daggers out when we get home! How did she know that I was thinking that, "I hate you, your making me run all this way" "And why are you here" she says, "To jog" I said in a whiney voice. Great, naggy is walking! "You're doing well old girl" says naggy, "maybe next time just a one walk jog!" I just concentrated on getting my breathing under control again, because even if naggy hadn't said to me, from the top of this block is where I run home non stop.

"Right thats it, all the way home now" says naggy And in my mind that is what was going to happen. To show naggy how well I was doing, I mentioned that I must get some winter running pants. She fell about laughing!! I couldn't think what I said was funny, until she told me that, actually what we were wearing is winter running! well maybe a hat and gloves to be added. Well I'm glad I made her smile.

Now to concentrate on the run home. A stupid tune was in my head to keep my feet running in time, I cant think of what it is, but it was there, it was working for me, I was just running along at a reasonable pace, in the begining of winter, and enjoying it! "Finish in style" nagging said, bringing me back from my trance like state, "Ok, but just turn this corner first" and then that was it. It was not a good a finish as normal, but it was deffinitely faster than the pace I was doing.

3.34 miles in 44 mins, in the freezing cold with only two walking sections, not bad, I was pleased, and whats more so was naggy! In fact naggy said that she didn't have to nag that much, I may have to change her name!!

No comments:

Post a Comment