Thursday 1 April 2021

Make Way for the Toopalarde!

Hello blog readers. 

 It's been a while since I last wrote anything, I know but I am here now! I haven't been sitting around doing nothing though! Me and Tracy have been doing our thing while there has been no running with our club!  This blimmin lockdown is really just getting us all down now, but we shall continue to do what our government says, in spite of what some dimwits think, that it's all a conspiracy, ffs! But let's not talk about the numbnuts that refuse to wear masks in shops, decide to meet hundreds and hundreds of people, not wearing a mask, while counting how much bloody toilet rolls they STILL have from the very first hoarding session!

Tracy and I have been doing Team Body Project, YouTube videos together.  If nothing else it has helped to keep us mentally okish!  It hasn't help with the love affair with the fridge and the biscuit barrel, but hey ho!  At least we have been moving, which is all that Daniel says we need to do!  Oh if only!

But last night! Oh my goodness, last night!  It was sheer pleasure!  Just driving to the rec last night I had a huge smile on my face!  There was also a huge knot in my stomach as well (or that could quite easily have been the chocolate digestive that I had eaten 30 mins before hand)  PWR's were meeting up for the first time in what seems like......forever!  It truly feels like we have not run for the past year.  I know we had a few meet ups here and there, but really, it has been lock down for an entire year!  Not a lot of running has happened at all, well not for me!

But last night it happened.  I was leading a new group 0!  It's for all the people who have not run, or not run much in this past year.  And from listening to most of us, we are all toopalardes!  Most of us have a couple of extra pounds or two, those extra inches showing through our very close fitting running clothes, or even hiding under brand new run stuff!  But there was one thing that we all was agreeing on.....it's just great to be back!  

The park had 6 to 8 groups of people all saying "Hi, great to see you" or "My goodness I've missed you".  There was a sense of excitement and frenzied screeching  of  "Hi" from one group to another, of course keeping to our own groups of 6 runners.  In my group, because there are so any of us who have not been running, we had a special dispensation and had 8 of us.    

There were the usual crowd, J.J. Wendimoo and Tracy, but there was also a new person as well.  She has done our beginners course but has not done an awful lot of running since!  It just make sense to start our group from the very beginnings again.  I am thinking, "At least I should be two or three steps in front of the new beginners when we start again in 3 weeks".  This is my theory any way!  I need at least to look like I am not dying after the first minute run!  

I chose a flatish route, it will be shorter than our usual 3 miles, but that will increase over the weeks.  And no going into the woods just yet!  My goodness, I think I will have enough to contend with learning to breath and run again let alone look out for the sneaky tree roots and low hanging branches!  Them trees can be deadly sometimes!  The roads will have to do, I am sure everyone will understand.

Let me tell you, readers, if you could hear the sound of the voices of, not just of group 0, but all the groups that were there in the rec, it would really have lifted you up so much.  It was such a happy sound, seemed such a shame to spoil it with some hard work!  But we are a running, club, not a chatting club, and there are hills everywhere of course!  I had to get our one out of the way as soon as possible, so we headed for Kingsway, towards Petts Wood, its a short sharp shock to the system, but you know that after that its all plain sailing!  Hmmm, well, sort of!

We did the briefest of warm up before hitting the hill, brisk walk and some side stepping, then hit the hill running!  I kept us to the 1 minute of running and 4 minutes walking, (Shhhh, don't tell group 0 we usually do 5 minutes of walking during the first week of beginners!)  Everyone did well for the first run, even up hill.  There were a couple of people that I think are going to do exceptionally well, and will probably be moving up a group very soon, or at least go into the original group 1!  And from then on, it was run 1, walk 4 all the way around a short flatish route.

So, the run done, the noises on route were slightly different from when we were in the rec....but then after our stretches, the sound was as cheerful and happy as when we first arrived only 45-50 minutes before!  Fan-blimmin-tastic!  Loved it,.....hated it.....well maybe not quite as harsh as that.....but loved it all at the same time!  This toopalarde is well happy to be back to having the discipline of belonging toa run club!  

Toopalarde?  Oh, well, that is a name I heard my sister in law use, it's a very posh way of saying......tub of lard!  I will be Supairlite one day! 



No comments:

Post a Comment