Monday 6 November 2017

Double Beginners!

Hello blog readers.

I have been a bit lazy writing up me blogs! So I have squished together to beginners reports, for the last two Saturdays.

28th October 

That was a real good session.  We had a special 'guest speaker' that came along to to have a chat with our beginners.  PhysioMiketheMod!  He is a wealth of information and advice for anyone that is starting out running, or even for someone that has been running for sometime.  We had a usual two lap walk around the rec and then PhysicoMiketheMod shared some of his information.  Talking about running technique, running style and breathing!  Yes, I know we all learn how to breath as soon as we 'pop out' but a bit of control and discipline is needed for when you are trying to run and breath efficiently to help keep up your energy levels!  It's all very informative.  And then we started our running!

We kept it in the rec, because then everyone could take advantage of PMtM, captured in the rec.  And also if he could see anyone that was struggling a bit he could nip in and give some more advice and encouragement.  Running for eight minutes, we were, and some of our beginners were so surprised and very proud of what that had achieved so far! Of course I am not surprised!  I knew they all could it!  If they have got this far then they will go on to finish the course and graduate at the Bromley parkrun.  

I took some pictures of this session, here they are!

Don't forget those hips!

Clams, not just delicious to eat, but
good for your glutes too!

So, we just gonna watch, or shall
we try it?

4th November

So, Saturday just gone! Oh my goodness, what a morning it was!  I woke up to rain soaked windows!  I so just wanted to curl up in my duvet and go back to sleep.  But being a leader is a great motivator, because I knew I had to get out there and lead!  I knew that once I was there, wet, it will be fine! I picked up Tracy on the way too.

This was to be the first time out on the streets for our beginners, I wasn't sure how many there would be, I mean, if I was tempted to turn over and stay in the warm, I was wondering if our beginners were thinking the same!  But when I got there.....or I should say, after I got there the beginners started to arrive, along with our hardy PWR's.  There must have been about 20 beginners and almost as many PWR's.  It was almost a 'one on one' pairing for our beginners!

Sherry, being the kind and considerate one, thought the beginners would prefer not getting wet feet for a change, because we would be running out on the streets anyway.  I think I would still have gone around the green, get a good warm up, wet feet!  We're hard, we can 'hack' it. And besides, once your feet are wet, your body warms up your socks and you don't notice it!  Honest!

But we still did our warm up walk and silly walks out on the streets of Petts Wood.  So just imagine, 20 beginners, 15 or so PWR's  all gaily skipping along, kicking butt and doing side steps. Usually we are running with the houses surround us in a little cocoon that is our rec. But that morning we were on the outside, showing all of Petts Wood what we have been doing, we emerged from the green like beautiful butterflies!  Ok, so a bit of poetic licence, we probably looked like little frozen drowned rats!

We left the rec at Townsend and worked our way around to the entrance in Crossways.  by then we were ready to hit the hill!  It was the first time to show our new group the hill!  Some already knew it, but others just didn't even think they could get up there walking, let alone running!  The stint in the rec these past weeks should hold them in good stead.  All that informtion, all those evenings/mornings running will get them up the hill with miles and miles still left in their legs.  And it was just as well because some of them would be doing the loop three times!

I was with the group that did it just twice!  And would you believe it, the second time they went up the hill they ran it so much better than the first time.  It was because by then they were totally warmed up, totally relaxed, mainly because they knew the hill finished pretty quickly.  I was with one young lade, she was running with her son.  She was struggling a bit, with a bit of a sore knee, but her son kept her going!  It's just so heartwarming to see the children encourage the parents to get fitter!  I had a smile on my face every time he said something encouraging to his mum!  Just so sweet!

We finished our session at the rec, to do some cool down stretches, just as the rain started!  I did as many as I could, as I didn't want them all to get to cold.

Another fabulous session!

No comments:

Post a Comment