Monday 16 June 2014

A Much Needed Run

Hello blog lovers

It's Monday, and I haven't been for a run since Thursday! Ok so I did have my lovely ride into Greenwich on Friday, at least I haven't been completely lazy!  Why does life have to get in the way of running and cycling!?

Decorating, and cleaning and cooking and eating is what filled my weekend! So today I thought a long run will be in order! I thought a long run would be in order! But life still go in the way!  After 'life' had finished with me I was left with enough time to get a 5k.

So my usual route, I was too rushed to think of any other one, but it will do.  As soon as I was ready I was out of the door waiting for the satellites to find me. Locked on I was off, with a determination to do a good run, with plenty of running and little walking!  Well that was my plan!

Just running up Farringdon Avenue had me thinking, 'This is going to be hard!"  But with those inclines they always get me puffing a bit.  After that I started to get into my stride a bit more.  My thoughts started to get a bit more positive after that.  "Lets see if you have been working hard on Thursday evenings" were the thoughts in my head!

I was going to do the 'loop' part of the route in the opposite direction, but when I got to the road it went straight out of my head as the cars turning left into the road stopped to let me cross.  I was running along thinking what a kind motorist that was to let me pass. All other thoughts were out of the window!  I had forgotten to turn down the next road to do the opposite way!  Oh well, I shall just have to try and not think about the miles, as I virtually knew where each mile mark was, it's like a mental brake going on when I got there! 

Those walking spots happened of course, but for most of them I made sure I only walked just a couple of seconds before getting back to it.  After I had done the loop and was on my way back up Southborough Lane the walking was a bit longer.

I had to tell myself to get going again, and I was looking forward to running along Farringdon because I know I wont stop then.  When I got there I felt a relief.  I also felt a little be more energised!  How I don't know.  Was it that thought that I haven't got far to go now, or maybe I was just a bit to lazy on the way round and should have given some more.  Or was it the fact that I had a lazy gluttonous weekend!  I picked up the speed a bit, I even ran on the road to save all those driveways and trip hazards (as well as the poop on the streets)

Half way down here, just before the round about a family got out of their car.  A four young girls, and they started running.  Was they racing me? I don't know. Had they decided to race me to the round about? I don't know? Am I going to pretend they have? Oh yes I most certainly am!  I kick up to the next level and started to pick up the pace!  They were already in front of me before I got to them but I was gaining on them.  I passed by of them who decided to give up running, the other three were still in front.  I picked it up a little bit more. Another one dropped out. Just the two younger girls now, and they know nothing about pace.  "They have one pace only and that's speedy" said one of my club members to me last year at our club 10k.  I was chasing after the little whippets then as sweeper!  they totally annihilated me then. 

But this time I was warmed up. I was ready for them, it wasn't raining, in fact it was a brilliant perfect time for running.  I passed another young girl, but then I over took the last one as she was foiled by the road!  She wasn't allowed to cross over the road by herself!  Ok so they were young kids! But they still run like whippets!

But they had given me a little bit of spurt on, I was still running fast all the way down the second half of Farringdon, I was feeling pretty good too.  I kept up the pace, feeling like a proper runner know, I tried to remember my posture as I ran, no head down, I need to keep the oxygen reaching right through my body!  I saw my neighbour and I had another race with him.  Will I get back to my gate before he gets to his! 

I started to run a little more harder, my neighbour turned the corner, I ran faster to catch up to him.  He had his earphones on and didn't hear me running up behind him, he took the pavement and I couldn't pass by as the tree was to my left and the bushes from the houses on my right!  But a gently hand on his shoulder alerted him to my presence and I ran the rest of the way back to my home, beating him the our gates!

A great run, I really enjoyed it.  Ok still not the fastest time for this route, but it had some fast bits in there (so how it hasn't turned out to be fast I will never know!) 

Geeky stats for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment