Wednesday 16 October 2013

Mojo - Is That You?

Hello Blog lovers.

 
Well today, the first run for Tracy after the phenomenal successful Pettswood Runners 10k (biased I know) was not quite a run! It was training.  Trying to get their speed up and fitness up, and everything else that happens when you start training hard, I decided to introduce the delights of hill training! I was a bit worried about it, with the darkness but the road I chose was well lit up and not that far from the rec. 
 
So first I thought a bit of a warm up.  It's chilling down now and we need warm muscles to do what was planned.  So some side strides, and butt kicks, and knees up, and stuff.  And then a short jog around the block and then we should be ready.
 
I explained what the plan was, that was to get into pairs, so Nagging Sister and Ashleigh, Tracy and Lorraine and then me and Peter, but me and him would be help to keep Tracy and Lorraine going up the hill.  No.1's were to run fast to the first marker, which happened to be a silver taxi, and then run down again, slower, to tag the no.2's. and then they run to the first marker as fast as they can, jog back and then tag no.1. Then no.1 was to run fast up hill to the second mark, a red car, just further up the hill, and then jog back down again.  We were going to do that for 4 or 5 times, depending on time.
 
Sound simple when I have written, but do you think I could get across to the others what I meant?  So I ran with Lorraine to the first marker, urging her to go as fast as she could, I was going to stop at the top to show the others where I wanted them to stop and then show them the next marker. I looked around and I could see that N.S./Ashleigh tag team hadn't even started!
 
I will have to try and explain again.  But in the end it all kind of worked out.  Once they were all aware of the markers it was all go.  There is no room for half hearted attempts here! This is for hard work, to get fitter and faster and healthier!  Punishment some call it, torture even, but for us who are putting in the hard work find it fun! That’s right I said fun! Can you believe that I am calling running up hills fun.  Mind you I did not work as hard as the others, as I was in ‘Cheering mode!’ just waiting half way up the hill to cheer them on to the next marker on a couple of the reps I should have been doing! The tag teams were doing brilliantly.  I think we managed to do about 4 and half reps before it was time to go and warm down for the club run.  No geeky stats for this session though.
 
Group 1 Run
I didn't work myself as hard in the beginners group, and I was looking forward to this evening’s group run.  Illustrious leader was trying very hard to disguise Cardiac hill in her briefing, and it only got a mention after we had come to a stop during the run! Qualities of a good leader I think, only tell 'em the bad news when the need to hear it! 
 
The run down St Johns road and even on the undulating Lynwood Grove was going really well.  I was chatting to the new lady that joined us.  In fact everybody was chatting away and everything felt perfect!  The weather was even for us! It wasn't too cold, people were stripping down to the sleeveless and racer back running tops!  I took off my top layer, my wind proof freebie jacket I got last year, but was still really warm! I had on a long sleeved top!
 
It was soon time to face that hill!  "At you own pace, and it's perfectly fine to overtake the leader in this circumstance" said our Illustrious Leader!  I ran as much of it as I could.  I just started to flag a bit as we were getting towards the roundabout, when the first of some runners passed us.  It was the Orpies!  They were running up Cardiac hill too!  "Keep smiling" I said as they passed the others up ahead. 
 
The Orpies turned left once they got to the roundabout. We, however, carried on running up the other bit of Cardiac hill. But again I walked some of it.  But I didn't beat myself up about it!  I was having a good run tonight, I wasn't struggling (well apart from that hill) I was having a fab time.  My mojo was obviously hiding from me, and just pops out just when it’s needed, to let me know that it’s still there, and to stop taking it for granted!
 
So a great run, great people, a great club! Mojo is still there, and I am still running! What’s more to be said!
 
Geeky stats.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment