Tuesday 24 July 2018

I'm Moving On Up, Moving On Out!

Hello blog lovers.

So now we have this great rota for group 1, I've been with both Auriol and Carole for their inaugural run as leaders, it's time for me to leave the 'baby', step away from the 'comfort blanket' that is Group 1!  I didn't realise just how much of a comfort blanket it has been for me really.  I know I have run in group 2 once this year already, but now it's really happening,  I will be called on now to lead group 1 every third week at the moment and then every forth week from September.  I am going to have to push myself out and up the groups, starting with group 2. (Did I just say 'starting with group 2?)

I wasn't sure who was leading group 2 and I kept thinking if it's one of the faster group 2 leaders I may just tag along in group 1.  I told NaggyNeighbough that I was thinking, 'thinking' of moving up to group 2, you can imagine what she said "Do it, don't think about it, I want to be reading that you ran in group 1 today" So I left the comfort of group 1, of group 1 leading, of doing my own thing!  And now this is how it's going to be!

All the leaders gave out their routes and pace, Sarah gave out the route and pace for group 2.  I can run with Sarah" I thought to myself, "I can do this"  And so I gathered around Sarah with the other two members of group 2.  I could see that group 1 was huge!  Twelve runners in there this evening, even RefMichael was running with them, it was too hot and he didn't want to push it this evening.  I almost jumped on to that little idea, but I kept my resolve and stayed in group 2.

Sarah was taking us through the words, always a great run if it involves going to the woods. Maybe it will be cooler under the trees!  We are enjoying this heatwave, record breaking temperatures I am sure, it must still be still in the high 20's if not at least 30!  I know it's going to reach at least 35 degrees on Friday! 

We got through Dog Poo ally and group 3 were already there, just taking a chill, going over safety stuff and whatnot, Sarah had us wait until they started off as they were going along the same path that we were!  Just then Group 1 popped out of Dog Poo Ally. the pull to go over and join them was immense!  I was hot and bothered, I am at the back of the group (which of course I expected) but seeing all my mates there was good.  "I think I will go and join group 1" I said to Sarah, just so that I didn't feel such a fat frump running at the back.  It took me back to the last time I used to run in the back (well apart from when I did it a couple of months ago!)  Sarah wasn't having any of that, "Oh no, keep going, you're doing well" she said to me.  I came to my senses and decided, actually I don't my comfort blanket, I need to push, push, push to start getting fitter!

That was pretty much how it was through the run!  Me running at the back playing catch up.  At least I could take a sneaky little walk while they were all running! But then I had to run a little faster to catch them up.  The hill, you know the one, Goss Hill was in Sarahs route today!  Do I not love a hill! No, seriously, I do not love a hill!  But I know they are a challenge, and that blimmin Goss Hill is my nemesis!  Ooo, One day Goss hill, I will run up to the top again!

After the hill we ran along the back of Coopers school and we me the new 'Walking Group'.  See, we are a very all inclusive club!  The new walking group is a way for our injured runners to keep up their Tuesdays fix, meet up with club buddies and still feel part of the club.  LittleJ was leading it today, she could be the new leader of it, as the docs told her not to run anymore!  But there are always those that get little niggles, or are recovering from sickness or surgeries that will be walking each week.  We are a huge club now!  But it was good bumping into them en route!

We ran up a bit more of Botany Bay Lane and then went along the top path, with the cheeky little undulations, just the two of them, but at least we are running the easier way around.  I was really hot, I had my drink with me, (Naggy told me to take on!) I had drunk about 2 thirds of it, it was just as well we only had about another mile to do!  I don't usually take water on a 3 mile run, but I was sensible enough to listen to Naggy today!  In fact Sarah and Sonia had taken drinks, but the other group 2 runner didn't, I have forgotten what his name was.!  I was forgetting my own name by about mile 2 anyway!

We only had just a short bit to go, just running along towards the rail lines now and then Group 1 came into the woods from the road.  I can't think of where they had been!  They came in through Dog Poo and now they are going in from the top of Birchwood.  Hmm, strange!  We watched them run down by the side of the rail line while we had a little break for some water.  Then we started running again, maybe we would catch up to group 1.  In theory we should, but this heat was totally exhausting and group 1 had been running ahead of us before we got to the break spot.  But catch them up we did, as we approached the end of the path, just by Dog Poo Ally, I heard RefMichael saying "Keep those legs up Old Girl"  Ahh, Group 1, you gotta love em!

So with just the little bit of road work left to do, a sprint, well I kind of did a bit of a faster finish, it was all over and done with!  I was happy, but I think I probably slowed down the average pace for group 2 this week, but I am hoping to get better! 

Geeky stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment